Create a Project Plan
- Write out your goals for the project.
- Sketch an outline of your room.
- Get inspiration for your project.
Set a Budget
- Decide how much you want to spend on your project.
- Set aside at least 10% for any unexpected expenses.
- Check your local building guidelines to see if you need permits.
- Get bids from contractors.
Hire a Contractor
- Don’t hire a contractor based on price alone.
- Check their references.
- Ask how long have they been in business.
- Are they licensed and insured?
- Discuss terms of payment.
Hint: Don’t pay everything upfront.
Build Your Timeline
- Work with your contractor to set a completion date.
- Back out individual deadlines from your completion date.
- Include time for cleaning out the work area.
- Allow for materials shipping and prep time.
- Account for any holidays during your project time or
other dates your contractor may not work.
Prep the Work Area
- Pack up everything in the area under construction.
- Make sure to store anything that you may need so that it’s easily accessible.
- Plan to avoid the room entirely while
Bonus Tip: Over-communicate with your contractor. Always ask plenty of questions.
I hope you find these tips helpful as you plan for your 2021 project. If you’re planning to buy or sell this year, I’m here to help.